Monday, May 01, 2006

Princess


Friday, I got a rare treat. My sister and I met in Dayton, Ohio to see "Diana, A Celebration", an exhibit from her Althorp Estate, the Spencer FamilyÂ’s 500-year-old ancestral home in England. I personally am not a huge Diana fan, but my sister is. I guess it's because of their similarities: they were the same age and got married during the same year. I remember visiting my sister when I was 11 and we got up early to watch the wedding on her black and white TV. I was 11 or 12 at the time.

It's hard to believe that it as been nearly 9 years since Diana's tragic death. She was 36 when she died--exactly my age right now. Looking at the exhibit, I felt a littlejealouss. What have I done to change the world? Look at what she accomplished in her time. Look at what she could have accomplished if she lived on.

We got to see some of her childhood toys, school uniform, and a few notes written by her. But most importantly, we saw that wedding gown. It gave me chills.

I think there is a little bit of Princess in all of us girls. We need to remember, every once in a while, to bring out our inner Princess and have a royal time.

3 comments:

Buffy said...

I forget she was so young.

Natalie said...

I'm 36 too. I remember getting up really early to watch the wedding with my mom. Very neat that you got to see the exhibit.

Carolyn F said...

I was 16 when she got married... she was my idol. I cried the whole weekend she died. Thanks for sharing.