13 Albums That I Couldn’t Live Without
- Radiohead – Hail to the Thief. They only way that I can describe this album is that it’s like stepping into an audio world and looking around, and instead of eyes, you use your ears. If you haven’t heard it, you should. If you have heard it and didn’t like it, give it another chance in a few years. They are too far ahead of their time to be fully appreciated today.
- Tears for Fears – Songs from the Big Chair. To me, the quintessential 80’s album with interesting lyrics and synth sounds. (Aside: I know there isn’t any Duran Duran in this list. I find that I don’t listen to them as much as Tears for Fears.)
- Led Zeppelin – IV (Untitled). This album was released when I was almost 2 years old, but it has stood the test of time. Who would disagree that “Stairway to Heaven” is one of the best songs ever? I just want to put a good word in for my older brother who kept the LP around, allowing me to sneak into his room and listen to it. The album cover alone is enough to buy it—I could stare at it for hours. Led Zeppelin IV Art
- Nirvana – MTV Unplugged in New York. When putting this list together I was trying to decide which Nirvana album to include, and kept coming back to this one. I normally don’t like live recordings, but this one is great. Every song is a winner, even if they were just covering another artist’s song, i.e. David Bowie.
- Police – Synchronicity. My “first love” and I had “Wrapped Around Your Finger” as our song. “Every Breath You Take” was 1983’s biggest hit song, and I still don’t get tired of it.
- Miles Davis – The Essential Miles Davis. All I have to say is “So What.”
- They Might Be Giants – Apollo 18. This is one I can listen to with the kids. It has over 30 songs (okay, some of them are around 10 seconds long) but every one is great! Besides, this album teaches what a Palindrome is, all about Mammals, and even has a song that reminds me of Pavlov’s dogs salivating to the “Dinner Bell.”
- Madonna – Ray of Light. Madonna is an audio artist. The sounds in this album are a treat the my ears. Especially “Ray of Light” and “Frozen.”
- Beck – Guero. I just like Beck. I especially like “EPro”. I went to the Field Day Festival in New York a couple of years ago, with the headliners being Beastie Boys, Beck and Radiohead. Well worth the trip and sitting in the rain all day. Except that Beck fell down offstage just before his performance and broke a rib. I didn’t get to see him.
- Coldplay – A Rush of Blood to the Head. This is an album that I say, “Oooh! I love this song!” at the beginning of every song. This album contains the hits, “The Scientist” and “Clocks.”
- Pink Floyd – The Wall. The whole story, the content, the movie. All great.
- k.d. lang – Ingénue. It’s like eating an entire chocolate silk pie. Every bite is delicious and you let the taste linger in your mouth for as long as you can before taking another bite.
- Red Hot Chili Peppers - Blood Sugar Sex Magik. If I listen to this when I’m cleaning, everything gets a really good rubdown--if you know what I mean!
Get the Thursday Thirteen code here!
The purpose of the meme is to get to know everyone who participates a little bit better every Thursday. Visiting fellow Thirteeners is encouraged! If you participate, leave the link to your Thirteen in others comments. It’s easy, and fun! Be sure to update your Thirteen with links that are left for you, as well! I will link to everyone who participates and leaves a link to their 13 things. Trackbacks, pings, comment links accepted!
View More Thursday Thirteen Participants