Thursday, April 17, 2008
Thursday Thirteen #85
I just recently signed over the title to our cute VW Beetle. So this week I'm doing a retrospective of that car.
13 Things About Our VW Beetle
1. My husband, during his 2+ hour commute from the city to his job near Creekistan, passed by this cute blue 1999 VW Beetle. It was nearly love at first site.
2. We bought the Beetle from a boat dealership. All the paperwork said "boat," but was crossed out and replaced with the word "car."
3. Neither one of us could drive a shift, so we had a friend come down and test drive it for us.
4. Our friend had to drive it home. He kept it at his place until my husband could learn how to drive it.
5. I was in my last trimester of pregnancy at the time, so I didn't want to ride in the car while my husband learned to drive a clutch. I was afraid the jerking motion would put me into early labor!
6. After a few weekends of practice, my husband felt comfortable driving it and we brought it home.
7. Just a couple of months of having the car, my husband thought he was comfortable enough to drive it during a really terrible snow storm. He just wanted to go to the library. We all get in the car and we can't even get off our hilly street. Eventually he had to park it and we walked home. We couldn't get the car out of the deep snow for almost a week.
8. For Christmas that year I got him a matching steering wheel cover and a bouquet of flowers for the built-in vase.
9. It wasn't long and things started to go wrong with the car. The first thing was the driver's seat: it wouldn't go back down after you moved it up to get into the back seat.
10. Then the driver's-side door wouldn't close right. Then the driver's-side door wouldn't open right--you had to roll down the window and open the door with the outside handle.
11. Then the windows stopped working--they wouldn't go up without considerable help.
12. Finally, my husband realized that the heat gage wasn't malfunctioning and that the car was really overheating--eventually blowing the headgasket--the equilivant to a massive heart attack.
13. We managed to drive the car--steaming like an angry, blue dragon, to our mechanic. That's where it remains and that's who bought it for parts.