Tuesday, September 04, 2012

Kale Chips on a Griddle

I make kale chips on my griddle. To me, it's very simple; I improvise when I make them. But I've had several people ask (and beg) for the recipe, so I'll try to write down how I make them. Results may vary.
  1. Heat up the griddle. I think I set the heat to about 350 degrees.

  2. Wash the kale and remove any hard stems. Keep the pieces of kale as large as possible.

  3. Coat the kale with olive oil. For this, I have a special Pampered Chef device: a Kitchen Spritzer. I also put a little olive oil on the griddle to keep the kale from sticking.

  4. Lightly salt the kale--I use sea salt.

  5. Place kale on the griddle in one layer. Overcrowding will steam the kale rather than crisp it.

  6. Keep an eye on the kale. When they start to dry and change color, turn them over. After I turn them all over, I usually turn off the griddle. This way I don't accidentally overcook the chips (aka burn them!).

After they are good and crispy, you should be able to pick up a piece and it should maintain it's shape. Put on a plate to serve. Serve immediately--I can't imagine that they would store very well.

Sometimes I use this recipe to create a kale chip bed for serving steak or chicken.

No comments: