- A lot of tomatoes! - Washed and ready to cut.
- Olive oil - enough to coat all of the sliced tomatoes
- Garlic - 2 - 3 cloves finely chopped (more or less depending on how much you like garlic)
- Basil (and/or other Italian herbs) - dried would be okay but fresh-sliced leaves are better; use enough to get a good flavor over all of your sliced tomatoes
- Balsamic vinegar
- Preheat oven to a low temperature: around 200 degrees.
- Slice the tomatoes somewhat thinly, less than a 1/2 inch thick.
- Toss the sliced tomatoes into a big bowl with the garlic, olive oil, and herbs.
- Place the tomatoes in a shallow pan in one layer - you could use a cookie sheet if you line it with foil and turn up the edges so that the juices don't drip over the edge.
- Sprinkle with the balsamic vinegar.
- Bake in the low-temp oven for at least 5 hours; until they are dried out but not burned. Some recipes out there suggest 8-10 hours! Just be sure to keep an eye on them.
- You can store them in mason jars with a little more olive oil. I don't know how long you can store them--but if you keep then in the fridge, I'm sure they'll last a long time.