Since moving out to the “Sticks” where we can’t get any TV, I have become best friends with my video iPod and iTunes. Especially with Podcasts and Video Podcasts. These allow me to subscribe to and download shows that I like, so that I can listen or watch them whenever I want.
Mainly, we listen to shows on the radio when going to school or home in the evening. But there are a few video podcasts that we can watch at home. I also listen to a few more “adult” podcasts at work or when I’m doing dishes.
Here is a list of my 13 Favorite Podcasts:
- Crazy Dave’s Kid Show – A kids call-in radio show from Des Moines, Iowa. My son called in once, and we had a great time!
- Dantastic You Dos – A new, short, video podcast with ideas on crafts that parents and kids can make at home. It features Crazy Dave, so that’s why we love it!
- Kids Music: Spare the Rock, Spoil the Child – Another kid radio show that plays kid-friendly music. They always play They Might be Giants, if that gives you any indication about what kinds of music they play. I’ve also become hooked to a kids version of “Jungle Boogie.”
- National Geographic Video Shorts – Video Podcast – Great shorts about all kinds of different things, from a tribe that hunts and eats rats to a Shaman in Paraguay, my kids love this show.
- Never Not Funny – Jimmy Pardo’s “PardCast” – Adult conversations with comics and TV personalities, it’s an interesting glimpse into the life of comedians.
- NPR: Wait Wait . . . Don’t Tell Me! - This is the extremely funny NPR call-in game show about current events and news. Since I can’t always catch this show when it’s live on the radio, the Podcast is great to listen to when I get a chance.
- Penn Radio Podcast – Penn Jillette, the tall, loud one from the Penn & Teller duo, has a daily 1-hour radio show. I love him, his humor, and his topics. Especially Monkey Tuesday, when people call in to tell stories about monkeys.
- Smelly Monkeys – A podcast created by a father and his 8-year-old twin sons. My family likes to listen to their antics. They try to stick to a format, but usually end up just being silly, like boys do.
- Wild Chronicles – Another National Geographic video Podcast. This focuses on animals. Who doesn’t like to learn about animals?
- PotterCast - A Harry Potter podcast with news and discussion about the Harry Potter books, fandom, and wizarding world. Since my son and I are big fans of Harry Potter, we enjoy this podcast and their advance theories about what the books are really trying to say.
- Real Time with Bill Maher – An audio version of Bill’s HBO show. Each show features an opening monologue, roundtable discussions with politically incorrect muse Bill Maher and a guest forum, plus segments with other special guests.
- NOW PBS – Segments from the PBS show Now that feature information about today’s most important issues. Plus, David Brancaccio has such a nice voice.
- NPR: Satire from The Unger Report - Communiques from the edge of America by humorist Brian Unger of NPR's "Day-to-Day." Humorist Brian Unger ponders the government's response to two of the day's most pressing issues: defining torture and banning spinach
Get the Thursday Thirteen code here!
The purpose of the meme is to get to know everyone who participates a little bit better every Thursday. Visiting fellow Thirteeners is encouraged! If you participate, leave the link to your Thirteen in others comments. ItÂs easy, and fun! Be sure to update your Thirteen with links that are left for you, as well! I will link to everyone who participates and leaves a link to their 13 things. Trackbacks, pings, comment links accepted!
View More Thursday Thirteen Participants