Parts of My Body That Have Been Altered or Fixed
1. Eyes #1 – I guess I had blocked tear ducts when I was a baby. They did a procedure on me when I was about 6 months old. To this day I don’t like other people messing with my eyes.
2. Pierced ears #1. When I was 11, I finally talked my Mother into letting me get my ears pierced. She got hers done at the same time.
3. Right ear #1. I guess getting my ears pierced caused a large cyst to grow on my right ear. It had to be surgically removed when I was 15. It closed my pierced ear, so that I could only wear an earring in my left ear.
4. Pierced ears #2. I was too traumatized by not having my right ear pierced that I went and did it again. But this time I had to get the piercing higher up on my ear. This allowed me to wear three earrings: one in my right and two in my left. Great for those long, dangly earrings they liked in the 80s.
5. Eyes #2 – Contacts and glasses. I didn’t like the glasses much, so I almost immediately went to contacts. But at the time, contacts were expensive, fragile, and needed the be “heated” every night. Thank goodness for disposables and for all-purpose solution!
6. Knee – I was in a car accident when I was 19. My right knee went through the dash board (or visa versa). I received a double-compound fracture. This means that my kneecap was shattered and exposed. I never looked at it. My knee was mended with wires and screws.
7. Left Pinky finger #1 and #2 – In that same auto accident, I also nearly severed a pinky finger. It’s been repaired but is not quite normal, either. About 15 years later, I started having problems with my finger again! Seems that they left a stitch in and it wanted to get out. Quick little procedure and it was removed.
8. Right Ear #2 – The cyst is back! I had to go for another surgery to remove it. I remember hearing the stitches go through my skin. Very unnerving sound.
9. Right Ear #3 - Okay, they never got all of the cysts! So I had another surgery. This time, we made sure to remove all cysts and their “roots.” So far so good!
10. Left Big Toe – As a consequence for having a bum right knee, I developed a bunion on my left foot. I think I was over compensating for my right leg. I had to have my toe broken, some bone removed, and screws put in to keep the toe straight. Seems okay now.
11. Stomach – Okay, C-sections. Two of them. My husband remembers peeking around the surgical drape to see my intestines being held up by a doctor. Glad I didn’t see!
12. Nose – My Boy, aka Wreckingball Head, caused damage to my nose. So I had to have surgery to correct my deviated septum. After a weeks worth of uncomfortable stuff up my nose, I can breathe a lot easier.
13. My “Bum” – Yep! I’m not ashamed or embarrassed to tell you about my surgery to remove a large thrombosed hemorrhoid. I should have known, when a nun at the hospital prayed really hard over me before the surgery, what I was getting into. The worst surgery ever! Very uncomfortable and very painful. My first bowel movement after the surgery was comparable to childbirth.
Get the Thursday Thirteen code here!
The purpose of the meme is to get to know everyone who participates a little bit better every Thursday. Visiting fellow Thirteeners is encouraged! If you participate, leave the link to your Thirteen in others comments. It’s easy, and fun! Be sure to update your Thirteen with links that are left for you, as well! I will link to everyone who participates and leaves a link to their 13 things. Trackbacks, pings, comment links accepted!
View More Thursday Thirteen Participants