Tuesday, July 17, 2007

Creekistan County Fair - Hogs Heaven

Its county fair time for Creekistan and it's surrounding areas. I don't know how much of a big deal it is for everyone in this county, but I can imagine the kids in 4H are excited. This is the time where they get to see how their project animals compare and possibly sell. One of my goals was to enter something into the fair, and I did manage to enter 4 things: a Halloween decoration, a Christmas apron, a submission for next years fairbook, and a photograph of my neighbor's 1949 tractor.

I visited the fair today with my children and my neighbor, Jody. She's been to the fair many times, and has even participated in 4H with her children when they were young. We saw the hog weigh-in, which was actually pretty exciting. Young people would poke their fat hogs down the row to the scale, hoping that they "make weight" (whatever that means). The hogs were not too thrilled to be away from their comfy pens--some pens even had fans. We'd ask the kids what they named their hog, and most said that they didn't name them. I guess it's because at the end of the fair they hope to sell their hog, and then the hog will become someone's dinner, breakfast, or sandwich meat.

We watched the Pig Scramble. That is the event where small pigs would get soaped up people would try to catch them and coax them into a pen. It was a lot of fun. My 2 1/2 year old daughter loved the pigs and enjoyed watching the pigs getting washed. I guess I may have to get a pig when she is older.

By the way, I did get two blue ribbons for my Christmas apron and Halloween decoration! My photograph didn't get anything, but I was glad to see that many people participated in the photography contest. My son also got a red ribbon for his decoration. I don't know about the fairbook cover. I guess I'll find out on Saturday when I pick everything up.

We spent most of the day at the fair, looking at animals, riding rides, and talking to people. It was a lot of fun and I look forward to next year. I'm going to enter more things, and I'm going to look into entering into the Powderpuff Demolition Derby. My driving skills may prove to be a benefit. Anyone want to sponsor me? Donate a car?

No comments: